The Voice of Franche’s Pupils
We have a thriving School Council for pupils from Year 1 to Year 6, ensuring the voice of the school population is heard at the highest levels. Children stand for election to the council every year and are chosen through a secret ballot – always an exciting and thought provoking time in school, where pupils report to staff that they vote not for their best friend necessarily, but for the person they genuinely believe will represent them the most successfully. Through this, we discuss the importance of British Values, including democracy. This year’s election day took place on Friday 12th October 2018, which has resulted in a strong team of Councillors.
The council meets regularly to discuss issues raised in class meetings and through discussions. As of last year, we introduced pupil and parent feedback boxes which pupils have also enjoyed using, offering new, helpful suggestions, which have already been implemented in school.
Our achievements in the Autumn Term:
* Years 5 and 6 School Councillors met with Mr Kenyon to discuss the reward system for upper school so it is purposeful.
* Some Year 5 School Councillors worked alongside the Head Boy and Girl to interview potential new candidates who applied for jobs at Franche.
* We organised the school’s Children in Need event which was held on Friday 16th November 2018. Over £800 was raised for this amazing charity!
Our achievements and plans this Spring Term:
* We organised an International Day (Wednesday 6th February) to celebrate our knowledge of different countries from around the world. We asked for a 50p donation in order for us to buy some outdoor learning boards of geographical maps and historical timelines.
* We have sent a video to PTA asking for some money to help us with our project of buying the outdoor signs. They agreed to help us!
* We were contacted by Midlands Air Ambulance Charity and we organised for them to visit school and present an assembly to the children. The whole school also got to see an air ambulance pod. We will be raising money for this great charity later on in the school year.
* We attended a staff meeting where we shared our ideas to the staff to help with ideas for our curriculum. We had lots of fun discussing our suggestions.
A notice board in the main office will be updated throughout the year and will show the actions the School Council have taken.
We are very excited about the coming projects we have planned. Watch this space…
Franche School Council